As you may know, the home sales market is changing. It seems that the buyer frenzy has slowed down and sales are not coming as fast as they have in the past couple of years.
However, you can still get the price that you want for your home if you ensure that it’s completely market ready. This means making sure that it’s spotlessly clean, the kitchen is looking its best, your home has great kerb appeal and you’ve enlisted a great agent to take quality photographs and a video walkthrough.
Here are some tips to get your home sales-ready to achieve the absolute best outcome.
Kerb appeal is paramount
When selling your Northern Beaches home, first impressions are everything. You only have around three seconds to make a good first impression and this means your home has to look absolutely stunning from the street.
This means clean windows and gutters as well as a neat and tidy lawn and garden. Here are some things to do before the photographer arrives.
- Clean the front of the home and make sure the windows sparkle.
- Clean the gutters and repair any broken bits. Give them a new coat of paint if they’re looking a little worse for wear.
- Make your front door a focal point by painting it in a bright colour that matches the exterior of your home.
- Decorate your front porch with some colourful pot plants.
- Mow the lawn, trim the edges and make sure all shrubs are neatly trimmed. Also ensure that there are no weeds in the garden beds.
- Sweep the driveway and the path to your front door. If there are stains, use a pressure washer to remove them.
- Make sure that your letterbox is clean and looks great.
Styling adds impact and value
These days, more and more people are engaging a stylist to get their home ready for sale. These professionals know how to make your home look fabulous both in the sales photos and when people come to inspect. And remember, research shows that styling your home can add thousands of dollars to the end sale price.
Here are some top styling tips from the experts.
- Declutter, declutter, declutter. We can’t stress the importance of this enough. A cluttered home doesn’t look great in the photos and many potential buyers just can’t see past the clutter to let their imagination consider the possibilities.
- Keep your interior scheme to fairly neutral tones as this is likely to appeal to a wider range of buyers. Once you’ve removed all your personal items, just stick to some basics such as throw cushions, a grouping of three candles of different heights, some lush pot plants and some table lamps that help with light layering.
- Place mirrors opposite windows to help to increase the light and spaciousness of any room (but not in the bedroom ‒ bad feng shui).
Kitchens sell homes
When looking to purchase a home, the kitchen is one of the most important rooms that buyers focus on. Let’s face it, it’s a room where we tend to spend a lot of time. Therefore, you want to make yours as appealing as possible so that potential buyers can see themselves in it.
Here are some tips to spruce up your kitchen without doing an expensive renovation.
- Consider replacing the cupboards doors with some more modern ones if your kitchen is fairly old. Or, you could just paint them a colour that is more on trend.
- Replace the handles on all the doors and drawers with more modern or streamlined hardware. This can make an amazing difference to the look of the room.
- Make sure all the work areas are well lit. You can easily install strip lighting over the sink, cooktop and under the cupboards above work benches.
- Keep the island bench uncluttered and consider placing just a bowl of lemons there.
Can we help with your Northern Beaches home sale?
Even though the home sales market is changing and there are not as many frantic buyers out there now, you can still get the optimum price for your home if you present it well and ensure that it stands out from the competition.
To find out more about how to get your home ready for sale, please give the JDH team a call.