Are you getting ready to put your house on the market as soon as spring arrives? If so, now is the time to prepare your Northern Beaches garden and outdoor areas so that they will wow all the potential buyers who visit the open house sessions.
Here are our top tips for getting your home ready for a spring sale.
1. Spruce up the garden
To get a quick sale in spring, you want your garden to shine with glorious colour. You also want to ensure that everything is neat and tidy and that your lawn is lush and inviting. Here are our top tips.
- Aerate, seed, and feed your lawn. A compacted lawn needs to be aerated in order for the fertiliser to reach the roots of the grass. In addition, it’s not too late to seed any bare patches. Alternatively, you might want to cover those bare patches with pieces of turf. Then, it’s time to spread some nitrogen- and potassium-rich fertiliser so your lawn has time to green up (nitrogen) with lush growth (potassium) before spring.
- Tidy and mulch your garden beds. If your garden beds are a bit overgrown, give them a good weeding and trim all the shrubs. Remove any dead growth and then, add a thick layer of mulch. The mulch will not only make your garden beds look nice and tidy but it will also stop the weeds from coming through again.
- Add some colourful annuals. Fill any bare patches in your garden beds with colourful spring annuals. This gives them enough time to become established and they will fill your garden with glorious colour once the weather starts to warm up.
2. Clean and tidy all of your outdoor areas
Now is the time to clean up all of your outdoor spaces to make them gleam in the spring sunshine. Consider the following:
- Repaint any exterior surfaces that need it. This includes the guttering and downpipes as well as around the windows and any other areas that might have flaking paint.
- Give the windows a once-over. All of that seaspray will have coated your windows with a layer of salt. Give them a good clean now and you’ll have to spend less time getting them sparkling for when potential buyers visit.
- Focus on the kerb appeal. Remember that how your home looks from the street is vitally important. To spruce up your home’s kerb appeal, make sure that all the paths and your driveway are clean and neat. Don’t forget the edges. You might also want to enliven the entry of your home by painting the door a bright colour and adding some large pots of flowers to welcome potential buyers. And don’t forget the Welcome mat.
3. Give your outdoor entertaining areas a makeover
For many potential buyers on the Northern Beaches, outdoor entertaining areas are vitally important. Therefore, you want to make yours as appealing as possible. Here are some tips:
- Clean everything. Remove the cobwebs and clean the concrete, pavers, or decking. If there are any broken pavers, replace them now so that they have time to bed in. If your decking is looking a little weathered, you might want to sand it and add a new coat of paint or varnish to give it a lift.
- Add some large potted plants. If your entertaining area is looking a little bare, why not give it a lush, tropical feel by adding some large potted plants. You can always take these with you when you move but they’ll help to make the area look far more appealing now.
- Brighten up a balcony with a mini herb garden. If the only outdoor space you have is a balcony or small patio, you can easily brighten it up with a mini herb garden or smaller pots of colourful annuals.
To find out more about how to get your outdoors ready for a spring sale, please give the JDH team a call.